Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about 10 Simple Steps To Living Green and other Green Living topics.
Being green all year round is important, but you should also be environmentally aware around the holidays. There is perhaps no time of year where more waste is produced, with wrapping paper, Christmas cards, and gift packaging. Be aware of the waste you're generating and try to reduce it as much as possible. Some suggestions:
• Instead of using metallic or glossy wrapping paper, which are toxic when burned, consider using fabric bags or recycled or recyclable paper
• Newspapers, old paper bags decorated with stamps or other artwork, old maps, blueprints, and kid's artwork make colorful and different wrapping – and serve to recycle paper that may otherwise be thrown away
• Consider using baskets, flower pots, dishtowels, or kitchen containers for “alternative” packaging items
• Buy sturdy gift boxes that can be reused year after year
• Choose gifts that have as little packaging as possible
• Use rechargeable batteries instead of regular ones for kids' gifts that are battery-operated
• Consider sending Christmas postcards rather than regular cards to reduce waste
By thinking green for the holidays, everyone can enjoy the season more.