Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Transportation & Travel and other Green Living topics.
Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you can ignore the environment. There are many ways to be ecologically conscious right in your own hotel room. Consider these tips:
• Don't launder towels that aren't dirty, or that could be used again
• Before leaving the room, turn off all lights and electronics (the TV, radio, etc)
• In the summer, keep the curtains pulled over the window to keep it cool; that way, you don't have to use the air conditioning as much
• Keep the same glasses/cups for the duration of your stay, to keep the hotel from having to wash more dishes
• Don't take the individual soaps, shampoo, lotions, etc; the more of these the hotel uses, the more waste that's produced
• Take short showers or baths, to conserve water
• Find the nearest train/subway station or bus stop to the hotel, and use public transportation (or walk) to your destinations
Not only will these tips help the environment, but if enough people engage in these kinds of conservation activities, they will help keep the cost of staying in a hotel room down.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|