We know recycling is beneficial, but here are some facts (some may be startling) that may make you think seriously about the importance of recycling.
1. About 40% of the waste in the U.S. is paper, but nationwide we only recycle about 25-30% of our paper waste.
2. Americans throw away close to the equivalent of 30 million trees a year, just from newsprint alone.
3. In America we discard enough motor oil per year to fill 120 supertankers.
4. In the United States right now, landfills are filling up and closing at the rate of approximately 2 a day.
5. By recycling an aluminum can per day we can save enough energy to operate a television set for 3 hours.
6. A glass bottle thrown away today will still be there in the year 3000.
7. In the United States, one in every six trucks is a garbage truck.
8. You would be able to circle the earth 436 times per year with the Styrofoam cups that are used in the United States.
These statistics are accurate and valid; they help to illustrate the importance of recycling in the United States. Start taking an active role in helping your community recycle and better your environment and prevent global warming.