Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about 10 Simple Steps To Living Green and other Green Living topics.
Buying locally produced meat, produce, and dairy products helps the environment in many ways, and also helps the local economy. Consider shopping at farmer's markets or looking for foods labeled “locally grown” in specialty stores. Why is buying locally a good idea? • Since food has less distance it must travel, it doesn't need as much packaging or preservatives, reducing the waste produced and making the food healthier.
• You can discuss growing techniques, pesticides and fertilizer used, and harvest times with the farmer, because usually he or she is the one directly selling the produce or meat, so you know what you're getting.
• Food is often fresher, having been harvested recently and not having to travel great distances to its destination.
• Local growers are usually smaller operations than “superfarms,” and are less likely to use mass growing techniques, chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and treating their animals more humanely.
• You are purchasing directly from the grower, putting more money in his pocket and avoiding “middlemen” like distributors and shippers.
• You are putting money directly into your local economy by supporting local farmers, which will help all businesses overall.